Software Development Master’s Degree: Program Your Own Flourishing Future
Earn a master’s degree from a leading research university with top-ranked programs
- Evenings on campus
- Part-time or full-time
- No GRE/GMAT required
Few fields present a more promising career outlook than that of software developer. One of the largest and fastest-growing professions, U.S. News & World Report ranks “Software Developer” as the #1 Best Technology Job of 2018, with a median annual salary of $102,280 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Now is the time to advance in your career with a master’s degree from Boston University—one of the world’s leading research and teaching institutions.
BU’s Metropolitan College (MET) has more than thirty years of experience in computer science & IT graduate professional education, offered in flexible evening, online, and blended formats. Because MET is focused on practical, insightful, and adaptable knowledge, the tools and skills you learn at MET today can be immediately applied on the job while remaining relevant, useful, and valuable to your career growth for years to come.
Top Reasons Why You Should Consider BU’s Software Development Program
- MET offers one of the only software development graduate degree programs in the United States, with courses that develop expertise in agile software development techniques, Python and Java programming languages, and mobile app development for Android.
- Software developers design and build software, as do software engineers. But software developers are also problem solvers who work with multiple stakeholders to understand the reason for the software and define the required goals and outcomes for the product. MET’s program prepares students for agile project teamwork while building expertise in technical skills.
- MET’s Department of Computer Science was founded in 1979, and has been dedicated to meeting and anticipating the evolving needs of the technology industry with cutting-edge programs ever since.
- The MSSD program can be completed in 16 to 24 months.
- Convenient part-time evening or online formats allow you to balance your education and time with your work/life needs.
- Faculty are engaged in current research, and have hands-on expertise in high-technology and business industries.
- Diverse on-campus and online classes ensure vital connections with other students and professionals from around the world—networks that open doors.
- MET offers merit scholarships to help finance your degree.
The Tools for a Career Upgrade
Ideal for those who enjoy programming, the Software Development master’s program prepares students for employment in a field projected to grow by 24 percent through 2026. The curriculum focuses on developing skills that dramatically improve coding capabilities, while also catering to those who want to move into managing development teams. Students who complete the master’s degree in Software Development will be prepared to excel in agile environments, where the creation of software is a process involving multiple stakeholders.
Boston University is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (formerly the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.).